One of the first things that should be done when planning a move is to set a budget. For those hoping to cut costs during a relocation, a do-it-yourself option might seem like a logical way to save money when compared to hiring a professional moving company. In reality, DIY moves can become surprisingly expensive, and you can easily wind up spending more than you would when hiring professional Winnipeg movers to do it for you.
At Winnipeg Moving, we’re dedicated to helping our customers plan affordable and efficient moving experiences. We understand how important it can be to keep your finances in check during relocation, which is why we’ve provided this list of things to look out for when considering DIY moves.
Breaking Down the DIY Move: The Cost of Truck Rentals
The best way to move your belongings by yourself is by using a rental truck. Here are the factors that affect the cost of renting a truck:
- Size: Obviously, the bigger the truck, the higher the cost. A small truck can be rented for about $20 a day, while a larger truck can be rented for $40 a day—but of course, these prices can vary greatly depending on your location. When choosing a size, consider the number of things that you will bring with you. Normally, truck rental platforms can recommend the size that is most suitable for your needs.
- Miles: Aside from the daily rate, there is also a mileage fee. Typically, truck rental companies charge a specific fee for every mile. The normal rate is $0.99 per mile, and these can add up quickly.
- Fuel: When you rent a truck, the rate doesn’t include the cost of the fuel. The usual fuel consumption may range from 7 to 10 miles per gallon, depending on the truck size.
- Additional costs: Aside from renting the truck, you may also have to rent extra equipment such as a dolly and moving blankets.
Boxes and Packing Supplies
In order to move your belongings securely and preventing damage during transportation, it is recommended to invest in good quality boxes and packing supplies. Below are the average prices of moving supplies:
- Small box- $1.00
- Large box- $1.70
- Extra large box- $2.00
- Packing tape- $2.00 to $4.00 per roll
- Packing paper- $10.00 per 10 lbs
- Foam packing peanuts – $5.00 per bag
- Bubble wrap – $20.00 per box
- Furniture pads – $8.00 each
- Bubble bags – $25.00 per (60) bags
While it is possible to find boxes or ask your community to donate them to you, making sure they’re of excellent quality is essential. A strong, sturdy box and quality packing supplies will prevent damages from ruining your items. Damage could wind up costing you plenty of money, in the long run, should your belongings become broken or shattered during relocation.
Lifting, Carrying and Moving: Doing it Yourself, and Hiring Unprofessional Help
If you count with a family of strong,
efficient individuals that are willing to assist you as your personal moving
team, consider yourself blessed. However, most people don’t have an army of
professional movers at their beck and call
and will need to cajole muscular friends, co-workers, and relatives into
donating their time and strength towards moving. Needless to say, this can be
much easier said than done.
Whether you move your items by yourself, hire unprofessional, amateur movers to help you, or convince your network of friends and family to help you, you could end up paying a lot more money than you expected. Amateur movers can run a very high risk of damaging your property or getting hurt during the move—which could result in the need to cover unexpected medical expenses. In comparison, professional movers can be trusted to utilize the tools, equipment, and safety measures required to safely and carefully transport your items from point A to point B. Should anything go wrong, reputable movers will be equipped with insurance coverage for your damaged items or accidents should anyone get hurt during relocation.
Keeping Costs Down with Professional Relocation Services
Another important difference between DIY
moves and hiring a professional moving company to help is that the professionals
can actively work to save you money. Professional
relocation services from a reputable moving company will offer the help
of a personalized moving coordinator to assist
you with the planning and organization of a move. This includes setting
a budget, and formulating a plan based on your finances—choosing only the
services you need and want.
In a DIY move, on the other hand, you’re pretty much on your own. Moving can quickly become quite expensive, which is why having a streamlined, professionally organized plan can make such a huge difference to the quality of your move—and can also wind up saving you money.
Since 1975, Winnipeg Moving has been providing top quality residential, commercial, industrial, and specialized moving services. As a trusted professional moving company and an agent of Allied Van Lines for decades, we have committed ourselves to continuously improving our services and establishing a solid track record of satisfied customers.
If you want to learn how our moving consultants, professional packers, and expert movers can help you achieve a pleasant moving experience, call or email us today. Alternatively, you may fill out this online form for a free and accurate estimate.
Subscribe to Winnipeg Moving's Blog