Department: Winnipeg Moving
Reports to: Long Distance Manger/Operations Manager
A long distance driver is responsible for the loading, transporting and unloading of household goods
through Canadian locations by providing friendly and helpful service to customers. Drivers are generally
responsible for arranging labour to assist with the loading and unloading, padding of furniture, use of
proper household protection, and for claim prevention. Drivers must also complete all necessary
paperwork as required for this position. This includes driver logs, bills of lading and inventory
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cooperate with all customers to maintain a high level of customer service.
- Communicate consistently with central dispatch keeping them update on all activities.
- Safely operate truck and trailer across the service network.
- Perform routine (pre and post) checks of all truck and trailers.
- Complete all necessary shipping documents, bills of lading, driver logs, inventory summaries,
- Manage and mitigate risk of claims.
- Coordination of qualified labour to assist with loading and unloading.
- Abide by government policy when providing transportation of government orders.
- Support all health & safety initiatives for the safety of all drivers, customers and other terminal
employees. Drivers are also required to follow all safety policies and procedures including the
incident reporting system.
Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, ability to perform physical requirements of this type of
work. Valid Class 1/AZ Driver’s License with air brake endorsement in good standing. Experience with all
types of pickup and delivery activities. Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision.
Ideally 3 year’s minimum of household experience in the moving industry. Must be comfortable driving
at night and in all regions of Canada.
Drivers must be physically fit to handle freight. Typically up to 200 LBS using dollies, straps, etc. Drivers
must also have experience using moving equipment such as (dollies, straps, etc.) Long periods of sitting
is also required while driving on the highway as the position drives long distances (3000+miles) to
perform loads and unloads.
Criminal Record and background check will be done by Winnipeg Moving and Storage business unit.